Thursday 19 January 2012

It's Official!

The big news this week is that I am now officially a self employed person with a business bank account, The Gower Catering Company is up and running! It is still a very small enterprise but I am hoping to build it into a full time job by the time my son goes to full time school, he is 2 now so i've got the best part of 2 years. I am very excited but also very apprehensive, running your own business is not easy but I hope that with hard work and an equal amount of luck I can do it!

My first official order was for an 18th birthday cake, ordinary you might think but no, this cake was to be Pokemon themed featuring Pikachou who was the recipients favourite character. Now, being a shade over 18 myself (just a few months you understand) I had only a vague notion of what this was basically I was aware of its existence but that was about it! Fortunately I am a bit of an expert at internet searching so was able to get plenty of images that were very useful in the design process. This led me to wondering, how on earth did we function before the internet was so widely available? The cake was ordered 3 days before it was required, having no idea what this character looked like or what its show was like I would have really struggled to find in a library what was instantly available to me online. I  have become totally dependent on the world wide web, and i'm certainly not alone. If I can't get a 3G connection (or preferably wifi) on my iphone I am in a state of semi panic, the power of that instant knowledge is addictive and I no longer have the ability to wait for anything.
Fortunately for me I do have an excellent broadband connection so was quickly able to learn enough about pokemon to produce a cake that greatly pleased its recipient, and I must admit i was pretty pleased with it too!
8" chocolate cake, covered in sugarpaste with mexican paste model.

No comments:

Post a Comment