Sunday 10 June 2012

The £50 challenge - Day One

Just a brief post to update on today's progress in my challenge to spend only £50 this week.
I think it is going to be harder than I initially anticipated but a challenge is a challenge and I'm sticking to it!
My plan of attack was to avoid impulse buying (a huge weakness of mine) by doing an online shop. I very rarely do online food shopping because they always seem to substitute the things I really want with weak alternatives, and also because I don't want everything from tesco as I try to support small, local businesses in particular my lovely butcher.
This week however it seemed that online shopping was my only option, so I logged in, booked my delivery slot and placed a basic order - it came to just under £80 not including the £4.50 delivery charge - so that was cancelled!! I hardly had anything on there so I am beginning to see how this can easily become a problem when you are on a tight budget.
My next plan of attack was to raid the freezer and cupboards to see what they had to offer and it was here that I struck gold! I haven't yet fully explored the depths but the freezer had some frozen veggies, 2 packs of steak mince, a pack of 2 seeded cod fillets and 2 posh fish cakes as well as 2 huge bags of potato wedges! Incredible that's 4 meals right there! Next I moved on to the cupboards and again had little more than a cursory glance, a bag of risotto rice and some dried porcini mushrooms will make a great dinner one day, there is also a full bag of paella rice, pasta, brown rice, 2 boxes of miso soup, tins of tomatoes, passata and loads of different stocks!
I am now feeling a little less apprehensive about my challenge, and it also presents the opportunity to empty my freezer for a much needed defrost!
I had taken some mince out to defrost ready for a spag Bol dinner, when my mum called in to invite us to dinner at hers so I didn't need to cook at all. Thus the spag Bol will be there tomorrow.
Total spend for day is a big fat ZERO, an excellent start to the challenge!
How are you getting on? If you're on twitter use #50challenge.
As always I'd love some feedback to improve my blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment